Critical days for each woman are different. Some even have a few days before menstruation, pain in the lower abdomen, unpleasant sensations in the chest, mood deteriorates. Others do not notice the approach of menstruation at all and do not change their habits during the period of critical days. Scanty or heavy discharge is also a variant of the norm. In the second case, there is the likelihood of significant blood loss with subsequent complications. What is the danger of heavy discharge, and how to stop bleeding during menstruation?
Causes of severe bleeding during menstruation
The amount of blood secreted may vary for each woman. If menstruation occurs regularly, and the amount of discharge in each new cycle is not very different, we can assume that too scant or abundant periods are an individual feature of the body. If abundant discharge occurs suddenly, it is necessary to consult a doctor.
Possible causes of severe bleeding:
- Hormonal disorders. If the level of estrogen increases abruptly, the endometrial cells (tissue lining the inner walls of the uterus) are also actively dividing, increasing their numbers. This leads to their detachment, blood clots appear. Changes in hormonal levels may occur during the onset of menopause, after severe stress.
- Endometriosis. In some women of childbearing age, the endometrium begins to grow pathologically. Sometimes its cells are found in other tissues and organs of the body, grow into the muscular layer of the uterus. This not only leads to heavy bleeding, but can also cause complications - infertility, the development of fibroids, pain during bowel movements.
- Myomatosis Sometimes the cells of the uterine muscle tissue begin to grow and multiply, forming a knot or seal, which is called a myoma. This formation is considered a benign tumor and can be treated successfully. Patients with a similar diagnosis may complain of heavy and prolonged menstruation, pain during menstruation. Some types of fibroids can cause infertility or contribute to miscarriages.
- Chronic inflammation of the ovaries and fallopian tubes are common causes of bleeding. Such diseases can be caused by bacteria (staphylococcus, streptococcus, intestinal and tubercle bacilli). As a rule, the inflammatory process leads to the formation of adhesions - the folds of the fallopian tubes grow together. This can cause cavities that accumulate pus or blood.
- Surgery on the uterus or other reproductive organs.
Types of bleeding during menstruation
On examination of the patient, the gynecologist finds out how the menstruation passes. Most often, the doctor asks if there is a copious or scarce discharge, whether they have an unpleasant smell, how many days the menstruation period lasts. Based on the examination and answers of the woman, the gynecologist concludes whether there are pathologies. It is necessary to find out when it is possible to talk about the norm, and when periods are considered pathological.
Normally, the menstrual cycle should be the same in time - take from 21 to 34 days. In rare cases, it may be slightly shorter or longer. The cycle refers to the number of days from the beginning of the month to the date preceding the onset of the next critical days. Signs of normal discharge:
- color - from blurry pink, rich red to burgundy,
- consistency - liquid on the first day, creamy in the middle of the menstruation period, sometimes non-uniform with clots,
- volume - from 20 to 60 ml per day,
- Duration - from 3 to 6 days,
- intensity - at first, the discharge is scanty, then it becomes more abundant and soon begins to decrease,
- smell - raw meat with a slight musky shade.
Usually pathology is called a significant deviation from the norm. Pathological bleeding has the following differences:
- color of discharge - bright scarlet, opaque,
- consistency - liquid, without clots,
- volume - from 70 ml per day or more,
- intensity - constant or increasing, the blood goes continuously,
- smell - absent or unpleasant, putrid.
Sometimes there is thirst, the pulse quickens, blood pressure can greatly decrease. These symptoms are a reason for immediate medical attention.
How to distinguish heavy discharge during menstruation from uterine bleeding?
A distinctive feature of a pathological condition is an atypically abundant discharge. If the previous menstruation proceeded without features, but at the moment they are too intense - it is worth the alert. If during the day the volume of discharge does not decrease and is about 100 ml, you should consult a doctor. Other features are taken into account:
- deterioration of health, the occurrence of weakness, dizziness, severe abdominal pain,
- constant or increasing intensity of discharge,
- pads or tampons have to be changed more often than once per hour.
How to reduce bleeding during menstruation?
In pathological conditions associated with severe blood loss, specialist intervention is necessary. If the monthly abundant, last more than 6 days, but do not have the signs of pathology listed above, they can be restored to normal with the help of available means. There are conservative methods that will help stop the discharge (medications, folk recipes), and radical (surgical intervention). In addition, in the framework of complex therapy, compliance with certain rules is shown.
Nutrition and compliance with the daily regimen
Any bleeding may increase if the body is experiencing increased physical exertion. In this regard, during heavy periods it is recommended to observe the following rules:
- do not jump abruptly from bed after sleep,
- do not lift weights
- avoid stressful situations
- minimize physical exertion as much as possible
- spend more time in a relaxed atmosphere.
Food should be complete, while it is desirable to limit the use of heavy and fatty foods. With a significant loss of blood, care should be taken to ensure that iron-containing foods (beef, liver), fresh greens, vegetables, fruits, and red berries are present in the diet. An excellent addition to the diet will be pomegranate juice, dry red wine (in the absence of contraindications).
With the help of folk remedies can not only reduce bleeding, but also reduce the likelihood of problems in the future. Folk healers use herbal preparations for the treatment of uterine bleeding. Most popular tools:
- Nettle. Due to its antihemorrhagic properties, this plant has long been actively used to stop bleeding. Fresh nettle juice works more efficiently because it contains more vitamin K. In case of uterine bleeding, it is necessary to drink a decoction of dried leaves 2-3 times a day for ½ cup.
- Highlander pepper (or water pepper). Plant extract can be purchased at the pharmacy, and you can prepare yourself. To do this, you need 15 g of dry grass, pour 200 g of vodka and let it stand in a dark place for 14 days. Take 10 drops 3 times a day.
- Shepherd's purse. Prepare a decoction of the plant according to the classic recipe (2 tablespoons of herbs, pour 1 tbsp of boiling water and insist on a water bath for 40 minutes). Strain and drink 1 tbsp. three times a day.
- Herbal collection. 2 tbsp. collection (oak bark and tutsan in equal proportions) pour a glass of water at room temperature and heat over low heat, without boiling, for 10–15 minutes. Then let it brew for about an hour, strain. Drink half a cup 2 times a day.
When is surgery required?
Surgical intervention is also indicated in cases where bleeding is caused by tumor-like formations, papillomatosis, endometrial hyperplasia. The procedure is performed on a gynecological chair using local or general anesthesia.
Scraping the inner walls of the uterus allows you to get rid of dead endometrial cells. Only the top layer is removed, which is called functional, since it is it that is rejected during menstruation. After cleansing, the bleeding stops and the functional layer of the endometrium is restored.
If bleeding in menstruation suddenly opened, it is recommended to use ice as a first aid. To do this, frozen water cubes need to fall asleep in a tight plastic bag, then wrap it in a towel. Lay the bundle on the lower abdomen, stay in a quiet position for 20-30 minutes. After removing the ice, lie down on the stomach - in this position the uterus contracts more intensively. Also, the bleeding can be stopped by taking a lemon slice in your mouth.
What is the danger of severe blood loss during menstruation?
During menstruation, the body is freed from unnecessary endometrial cells, cleaned. If menstruation turns into heavy bleeding, it can cause complications. The loss of blood threatens the deterioration of health, dizziness. If the bleeding is not stopped in time, the blood formula will change, signs of anemia will appear. This condition can cause irreversible changes in the body and lead to death.
Prevention of recurrent bleeding
If heavy menstruation occurs frequently, there have been cases of uterine bleeding, you should pay attention to prevention. Effective and proven ways to prevent bleeding:
- take water pepper extract,
- limit physical exertion during menstruation,
- regularly visit a gynecologist (semi-annually),
- during the month to avoid eating foods that contribute to the dilution of blood (peppermint, beet, olive oil),
- abandon Aspirin and medicines, which include acetylsalicylic acid (citramon).
The amount of discharge is normal
Menstruation is considered normal from three days to a week. In this case, the standard cycle lasts about three to five weeks. Deviation from these terms may be pathological and requires observation by a gynecologist.
There is a rate of volume of discharge. On average, indicators reach 50 ml per day and make up about 250 ml per cycle. But due to the fact that the blood is released not in a pure state, but with mucus and clots, the total amount of menstruation reaches 400 g. The indicators are purely individual and depend on several factors.
It should be attentive to the norm in the three main periods that are dangerous:
- the first 2 years of the onset of menstruation, when the discharge is irregular and you can confuse bleeding with a slight deviation,
- The last year before menopause is also not consistently,
- period after childbirth, as the body is weakened and pathologies can develop.
The color of the highlights also matters. Steadily scarlet discharge throughout the period of menstruation is considered an alarming bell for a woman. Especially if accompanied by severe pain in the abdomen. By the middle of the menstruation days, the discharge traditionally takes on a darker shade, even black. It is within the normal range. Monthly periods often end up with very light smears, consisting more of mucus than blood.
Uterine bleeding is not uncommon. During the life of every woman is faced with its manifestations. Blood appears both before menstruation, after, and during. It is important to be able to distinguish bleeding from standard heavy discharge.
Characteristic signs of pathology:
- a large amount of blood from the vagina per day (more than 80 ml),
- the duration of menstruation more than a week
- monthly flow is too irregular, the cycle often changes from minimum to maximum,
- bleeding during or after intercourse,
- bleeding after menopause.
How to distinguish abundant menstruation and heavy bleeding? The main factors determining:
- Colour. Traditionally, the discharge has a darker shade, while the bleeding is constantly scarlet.
- Consistency. The mucus during menstruation makes the discharge thick, and the bleeding appears more fluid. Due to the release of blood only.
- Frequency. On average, during menstruation, a woman spends up to 10 pads, but the bleeding will require more. When the outflow opens, the flow is constant and does not stop.
If the volume exceeds the individual norms of a woman in terms of volumes and terms, it is recommended to immediately consult a gynecologist for advice.
There are many reasons why profuse blood effusions occur during critical days.
Experts identify several key indicators of the occurrence of pathology:
- Uterine fibroids. Non-malignant tumor of the muscles of the walls of the uterus. New growths often do not lead to serious consequences. They are considered a source of unpleasant symptoms and can act as a hindrance for the normal course of the reproductive functions. Pathology bleeding is accompanied by pain in the lower back, back and lower abdomen. Sometimes due to the pressure of large fibroids on the internal organs, there is an unplanned urine excretion.
- Hormonal disbalance. More often provoked by the adoption of contraceptive pills. The instructions describe the timing of the end of the bleeding, but if the drugs are not properly selected, the effusions will be delayed.
- During pregnancybleeding is likelyassociated in most cases with internal hematomas. However, the situation is complicated by the situation and blood from the vagina may be a sign of a miscarriage that is starting.
- A number of diseases contribute to the development of pathology.: endometriosis, polyps, cervix bend. In this case, it is not enough to eliminate the symptoms, but to completely get rid of the problem.
An additional cause of bleeding is a recent abortion or cleaning of the uterus. Due to external intervention or minor localized damage during the procedure, slight bleeding appears. Normally, it disappears after a few hours or a day.
Uterine fibroids can cause bleeding during menstruation
How to stop?
There are several most effective methods to reduce heavy bleeding during menstruation. However, before you have to undergo a survey and identify the root cause of the phenomenon.
- general blood analysis,
- hormone analysis
- urine test
Examination will reveal how to stop bleeding during menstruation. If necessary, the gynecologist will refer to the appropriate specialist. So in the presence of tumors, the main share of treatment falls to the surgeon. If there is a chance to cope without surgery, a number of medicines and vitamins are prescribed.
Ambulances that stop the hemorrhage include Vikasol and Ditsinon. However, the drugs are very strong and need a strict dosage.
It is recommended that you take these medications with your doctor, especially during pregnancy. Any self-healing methods are excluded.
In the video about dysfunction
You can use the popular methods of treatment. The most popular recipes are herbal teas and infusions:
- an infusion of 2 spoons of dry nettle, filled with boiling water, is recommended to be used in two runs on an empty stomach,
- nettles are replaced by the “shepherd's bag”; the preparation of the infusion takes place in the same way,
- peppermint leaves and raspberries, added to your favorite tea, are able to slightly reduce the flow of bleeding, provided they begin to apply 3-5 days before the onset of menses.
Internal bleeding with improper treatment can have serious consequences. Therefore, you never need to self-medicate without visiting a doctor.
We recommend reading the article on why smears brown after menstruation. From it you will learn about the physiological and pathological causes of daub, possible diseases, causes of pink, black, bloody discharge, the need to consult a doctor.
What should I do if my lower back hurts? Read here.
Gynecologists, like any doctors, tend to believe that a disease is easier to prevent than to cure.
In order to avoid bleeding during menstruation, it is recommended to follow a number of rules:
- do not take a hot shower, bath and completely abandon trips to the bath and sauna,
- during the critical days, give preference to herbal soothing teas,
- It is recommended to avoid lifting weights and playing sports,
- more is in a horizontal position with raised legs,
- It is recommended to avoid the use of blood-thinning drugs and products.
The reasons for which is triggered by bleeding during menstruation, are different - from incorrectly selected hormonal drugs to the formation of a malignant tumor. Therefore, the symptoms cannot be ignored. At the first signs it is recommended to consult a doctor.
Heavy bleeding with menstruation - causes
It is often difficult to determine the factor that influences the amount of blood released during menstruation. Doctors prescribe a large number of examinations, which include:
- examination in the gynecological chair,
- мазки из уретры и шейки,
- анализ крови - общий и на гормоны,
- УЗИ оврагов малого таза.
На основании полученных данных удается выяснить, что усиливает кровотечение при месячных в отдельно взятом случае. Среди причин необходимо назвать:
- Malfunction of the hormonal system. With the prevalence of estrogen concentration, there is an enhanced growth of endometrial cells that make up the inner layer of the uterus. With his detachment, which is noted during menstruation, there is a large release of blood, sometimes with clots. This may be in premenopause, when the extinction of the reproductive function of the organism occurs. With the onset of menopause, everything comes back to normal.
- Endometriosis. The disease is characterized by the gradual growth of the cells of the inner layer of the uterus into nearby tissues. Due to changes in hormonal levels, their increase is noted, which provokes bleeding from the uterus. In such cases, drug therapy is required.
- Tumor processes (fibroids) may cause heavy bleeding during prolonged periods. Marked in women of reproductive age. A benign tumor almost always provokes the appearance of blood from the vagina, lengthening of the menstrual. These signs are the basis of treatment to the gynecologist, who diagnoses the disease. It should be noted that during menopause, myoma gradually decreases independently, in view of the decrease in the synthesis of hormones.
In addition to the above violations, an increase in the volume of menstrual blood can be with
- inflammatory diseases (oophoritis, salpingitis),
- infections of the reproductive system (gonorrhea, gardnelelosis),
- after operations on reproductive organs, scraping,
- as a result of trauma.
Abundant menstruation or bleeding - how to determine?
It is necessary to strictly distinguish between 2 different terms: heavy bleeding during menstruation and uterine bleeding. The second is associated with the loss of a large amount of blood, which is fraught with the development of anemia. Before starting therapy, it is necessary to find out what is observed in a girl: menstruation or bleeding - how to determine which, everyone should know. If several of the following symptoms are present, this is a blood loss:
- hourly change of sanitary pads,
- duration of discharge more than 10 days,
- strong weakness, fatigue,
- recurrent pain in the lower abdomen,
- blood from the vagina after sex,
- decrease in hemoglobin in the blood.
Abundant bleeding during menstruation - what to do?
It is not necessary to self-medicate, even in those cases, if there is knowledge of how to stop the bleeding during menstruation. In such a situation, it is worth contacting a doctor whose task will be to determine the immediate cause of the violation. The girl must adhere to the following rules:
- consume a large amount of liquid
- avoid physical exertion, weight lifting,
- Do not visit the sauna and bath,
- exclude alcohol, coffee,
- take vitamins A, C, B.
To reduce heavy bleeding during menstruation, you can use cold. A heating pad filled with cold water is placed on the lower third of the abdomen. The duration of one procedure is 15 minutes. Water should not be very cold, - 20-25 degrees. A decrease in body temperature in this area may trigger the development of the inflammatory process. You can not exceed the duration of the manipulation.
Preparations for bleeding during menstruation
All appointments are carried out exclusively by doctors. In case of mild violation, pills are prescribed for bleeding during menstruation. Among them:
- Ditsinon.It has a fast action, the first result is noticeable after 3 hours. Can be used for the prevention of heavy periods.
- Calcium gluconate. Reducing the permeability of blood vessels as a result of the use of drugs, helps to increase blood clotting. Take pills before meals.
- Askorutin. Appointed to strengthen vascular walls, which results in a decrease in the volume of blood lost.
In case of severe symptoms, injections are made from bleeding during menstruation. Among the drugs used in this case:
How to reduce bleeding during menstruation - folk remedies
Choosing how to stop the bleeding during menstruation, women resort to the help of traditional medicine. Effective recipes in this situation can be:
- Nettle.Brew 1 tablespoon per 200 ml of boiling water. Consume throughout the day in small portions, 3 times a day, for 10 days.
- Tincture of the Highlander Pepper. 2 tablespoons per 1 liter of water, insist 3-5 hours. Drink a glass before meals, 3-4 times a day, 7 days.
- A decoction of oak bark, shepherd's bag, yarrow, Potentilla. Take in equal portions, diluted in 1 liter of boiling water. Accepted after a meal, after 2 hours, in the morning and in the evening, 5-7 days.
How to treat bleeding with monthly more than a month?
Bleeding for more than a month indicates hormonal changes in the body, requires appropriate therapy. Hormonal hemostasis is carried out in conjunction with general treatment, involves:
- use of oral contraceptives - Mersilon, Non-ovlon,
- appointment parallel hemostatic agents - aminocaproic acid, Vikasol,
- uterine-reducing agents - Oxytocin,
- iron preparations - Fenuls, Sorbifer.
Causes of bleeding during menstruation
- infectious diseases of the genital organs,
- the presence of uterine polyps,
- formation of myomas, fibroids,
- development of malignant tumors,
- impaired blood clotting,
- hormonal imbalance (estrogen and progesterone levels fluctuate),
- exposure to severe stress
- excessive physical exertion
- misplaced intrauterine device.
How to get rid of bleeding during menstruation?
Allocation differ from menstruation appearance, texture. They may have arisen after a long sitting position or lying down. Then there is no cause for concern. The reason is that when stationary, the blood, coagulating, turns into clots. If bleeding is observed during all periods, you should contact a gynecologist, who will determine the cause and prescribe therapy.
Bloody clots during menstruation may indicate the presence of a pathological curvature of the cervix, a tendency to thrombus formation, fibroids, endometriosis, polyps. Among the reasons are also deficiency of vitamins of group B.
To stop bleeding during menstruation should be used hemostatic agents. And at the end of the month to contact a gynecologist.
Tincture of water pepper
This is an old and proven tool, but it does not act as quickly as we would like. If you have persistent heavy bleeding during your period, you should take it, starting from the first day of your period - three times a day, 5-10 drops.
This is an effective hemostatic drug. It should not be taken regularly, but only during heavy bleeding. It is contraindicated in thrombosis.
It is not as effective as Ditsinon, and can not help every woman. It is suitable only for first aid. They take 1-2 tablets per day.
This is a new generation of drugs, and is able to quickly stop abundant bleeding during menstruation. You can drink it in pills or injections. Daily dose - 250 mg. The main thing - do not exceed it.
This tool is also used for heavy bleeding. It strengthens the walls of blood vessels, normalizes blood clotting, makes less blood loss.
It is also recommended to follow some simple instructions:
- drink more water. If mineral, then without gas,
- rest more, do not run, do not lift weights,
- refuse to visit the bath,
- do not drink alcohol, coffee,
- minutes for 15 from time to time apply to the lower abdomen ice warmer,
- take ascorbic acid, vitamins A and B, glandular drugs, since there is a lack of iron in the body when blood is lost.
How to stop bleeding with monthly folk remedies
How to stop bleeding during menstruation? Folk healers answer this question: use nettle. To do this, five times a day to drink half a cup of broth nettle. It reduces blood loss, normalizes the monthly cycle. It can also be used fresh, as well as drink its juice: 1 tsp. Take ¼ cup of water 20 minutes before eating. However, nettle is not shown to everyone, because it increases blood clotting.
Heavy bleeding during menstruation: causes, how to stop
Bleeding during menstruation - for what reason does it occur, do you need to consult a doctor and how can you reduce blood loss yourself? These are all very important and frequently asked questions. Indeed, many women, both young and close to the age of menopause, suffer from heavy menstruation. Let's start with the theory.
Norm and pathology
Normally, a woman with menstruation loses no more than 50 grams of blood for all the days of menstruation. Usually in the first 2-3 days the bleeding is stronger, there may be slight painful sensations in the uterus, caused by its reduction. 40-50 grams is a moderate discharge. Less than 40 grams - scanty.
With a blood loss of 50 to 80 grams, they talk about the possible occurrence of iron deficiency, especially if the woman is poorly fed, eats insufficient iron-containing foods. Another sign of iron deficiency is profuse hair loss all over the head.
In case of blood loss from 80 to 120 grams, they talk about the need to reduce it with hemostatic or hormonal preparations. And be sure to check for iron deficiency.
Do not forget to tell your doctor if you have heavy bleeding during your menstruation with clots, especially if they are large - more than 2 cm. This may indicate a large blood loss. If this was not previously observed, there is a chance of miscarriage, that is, a woman may be pregnant, and termination of pregnancy should be considered as one of the possible causes of bleeding. Usually a miscarriage is accompanied by painful sensations in the uterus, spasms, sometimes fever, nausea, weakness.
Urgent medical care, or at least a consultation, is needed if very heavy bleeding during menstruation is 2 times less than one hygienic (not daily) pad completely soaks in 2 or less hours. Just with abundant secretions, you can wait for them to finish and go for a visit to the gynecologist to discuss this situation.
But, by the way, such emergency situations occur infrequently. The issue of uterine bleeding or menstruation usually occurs in women around the middle of the cycle. And then doctors, regardless of the abundance of discharge, say that it is the bleeding, the so-called dysfunctional. There is a minimum cycle duration rate of 21 days. If blood appeared, say, on the 18th day, then you should remember how to distinguish menstruation from bleeding, and that in this case you can and should consult a doctor.
How to understand how much you are losing blood and what to do
The easiest way is to weigh a clean sanitary pad on a small scale that accurately shows grams, and then used. The difference between the two values will be the volume of blood lost. Write down this difference every time and add it up.
With the loss of blood in the amount of more than 50-60 grams, you can think about taking oral contraceptives (hormonal pills). If the cause of heavy discharge is endometriosis, and if a woman is not planning a pregnancy at the moment, this is a great way to make her blood loss moderate or even scarce. But you should only remember that you should not start taking contraceptives yourself, especially for the first time. Perhaps you have some contraindications for them that you do not take into account. So, hormonal contraceptives should not be taken by smoking women, especially over 35, with severe hypertension, liver and kidney failure, a history of thrombosis, etc.
If oral contraceptives for some reason do not fit - you can try to take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. They have analgesic and antipyretic properties (the well-known "Ibuprofen"). But besides this, he has the property to somewhat reduce blood loss. One problem - it can not be with a sore stomach.
How to stop bleeding during menstruation most quickly, effectively and safely? Many doctors in the old-fashioned way recommend "Ditsinon", but a more modern and effective means is Tranex. Take the need for instructions. But drinking nettle is completely ineffective. It makes sense only if there is absolutely no way out. For example, when you are outside the city and there are no pharmacies nearby.
But sometimes it is more correct not to try to find the most effective and suitable pills that stop bleeding during menstruation, but to eliminate the cause of this pathology. This may be an endometrial polyp. It is removed during the procedure of curettage, and better - hysteroscopy, so the doctor definitely will not be mistaken. By the way, the polyp causes bleeding after menstruation, intermenstrual. You must get rid of it.
Another common cause is uterine fibroids, especially submucous and (or) large subserous, intramural. The myoma node does not allow the uterus to contract well. Because menstruation can be not only abundant, but also long. Submucous fibroids are usually removed at any size, for this, and the incision of the peritoneum is not necessary. Myoma is removed by hysteroscopy, through the vagina. Intramuscular myomatous nodes and subserous (growing on the uterus as “fungi”) up to 7 cm in size can be laparoscopically removed. And more than 7-8 cm laparotomically. But it is worth noting that there is a conservative hormonal treatment of uterine fibroids. True, it helps for a while. But serves as a good preoperative preparation. Nodes after treatment are reduced in size by about half.
And, of course, we must not forget about the uterine artery embolization (EMA). This is the procedure of "killing" myoma without an incision. In the artery that feeds the myoma, under X-ray control, the doctor injects emboli — particles that are supposed to cut off food for the fibroids. After that she becomes necrotic. Already there are successful results of the procedure for women planning pregnancy. But now EMA is not considered to be the best choice for them, since it can potentially harm the uterus and ovaries. But for women who are not planning a pregnancy, over the age of 35 and with multiple uterine myoma, this is a great way to get rid of problems, including those with heavy menstruation.
And finally, the problem of heavy menstrual flow may be due to iron deficiency. Yes, oddly enough, and iron deficiency is triggered by large blood loss, and blood loss may be due to iron deficiency. But only in order to get the correct result (iron deficiency can be hidden), you need to donate blood not on hemoglobin, but on ferritin. In case of confirmation of this diagnosis, when taking iron-containing drugs, and menstruation become less abundant.
By the way, the consultation of a hematologist and endocrinologist, in general, does not harm, if the gynecologist did not find the cause of hypermenorrhea (heavy menstruation). After all, the problem may be in their parts.
Remember that hypermenorrhea is not the norm. You can and must get rid of it. This will be good for health and will increase the quality of life.
Abundant menstruation and bleeding - what is the difference
Normal periods, which usually go more intensively in the first days, can be distinguished from heavy bleeding on several grounds:
- The volume of discharge is not reduced throughout the week.
- The need to change the gasket occurs up to 10 times per day.
- On the surface of the hygiene product are large clots.
- Concerned about the strong pulling pain in the lower abdomen.
- Dizziness (headache) occurs periodically.
In the normal course of menstruation in the first days, mild aching pain in the lower abdomen is allowed. They are explained by the contraction of the uterus. The discharge has a dark red color and mucous consistency.
How to measure blood loss?
To do this, weigh the sanitary napkin before and after use, fixing the data on paper. The difference between the values will show how much blood has left the body for a certain period. Summing up the total value of each record, it is easy to calculate how much blood is lost in one cycle.
We list the criteria by which the intensity of blood loss is determined:
- Very light. The body loses 6 to 9 g of blood and mucus. Gasket consumption per day - 1 - 2.
- Easy Hygiene products change with a frequency of 6 - 8 hours, absorbing 10 - 12 g of uterine discharge.
- Moderate. Gaskets are changed every 4 hours. Daily loss - 13 - 15 g.
- Abundant. The need to change the pads appears every 3 hours. Per day comes 18 g of blood.
- Significant. The words "very large blood loss" is determined by the situation in which the gasket is completely dirty in 1 - 2 hours. This is an abnormal phenomenon that requires medical intervention.
Excessive menstrual bleeding can occur after a long stay in a prone or sitting position. The fixed state leads to stagnation of blood. Biological fluid coagulates, transforming into clots. But if the pieces come out of the uterus constantly, at any position of the body and throughout all the days, it is necessary to consult a gynecologist and eliminate the cause of the problematic menses.
Bloody clots in menstruation can be a symptom of fibroids, endometriosis, cervical bend. Также они указывают на склонность к тромбообразованию и дефицит витаминов группы B.
Медикаментозные препараты с кровоостанавливающими свойствами
Как уменьшить кровотечение во время месячных при интенсивных выделениях, расскажет гинеколог. You cannot drink pills by yourself, even if they helped a close relative or girlfriend.
When a mild violation of the patient can be prescribed the following drugs:
- Ditsinon. It acts very quickly. Menses become moderate after 3 hours after taking the pill. Dicine also prescribed for the prevention of strong periods. Intravenous administration results in 20 minutes. Of the side effects, Dicine may cause heartburn, nausea, hypotension, malaise, itching, and skin rashes.
- Askorutin. The drug works to strengthen the vascular walls, so that the body loses less blood. Take several times a day for 2 tab.
- Calcium gluconate. The drug increases blood clotting, reduces vascular permeability. First, calcium gluconate is administered intravenously at a dosage of 5-15 ml. Next, the drug is prescribed in tablets, up to 6 pcs. per day.
If her period is too heavy, and the woman does not know what to do, because the pills do not help, she can make injections in consultation with the doctor. For staging injections are suitable drugs Tranexam, Vikasol, Ditsinon in ampoules. Tranexam causes such side effects as allergies, tachycardia, drowsiness, chest pain, dizziness, vomiting, weakness.
Therapy of intensive bleeding lasting more than a month requires a different approach. Strong prolonged menstruation occurs due to hormonal disorders. The condition is corrected by complex treatment:
- The purpose of oral contraceptives - Non-Ovlon, Mersilon.
- Medications for uterine contraction - Oxytocin (administered intravenously or intramuscularly, the first method of setting the injection gives an instant effect).
- Hemostatics - Vikasol, aminocaproic acid normalize the process of blood coagulation. Acid is administered intravenously every 4 hours, using 100 ml of a 5% solution every time. Vikasol - a synthetic analogue of vitamin K is used in the form of tablets and ampoules. Daily dose of the solution - 1 - 2 ampoules, tablets - 4 pcs. The effect of the agent is felt in 10 - 12 hours.
- To saturate the body with iron - Sorbifer, Fenuls.
- Pharmaceutical tinctures - tincture of water pepper, tincture of lagochylus.
Before taking hemostatic drugs to stop heavy periods, you should be familiar with their contraindications. For example, Ditsinon prohibited from use with individual intolerance to the components, pathologies of the circulatory system, kidney and liver, increased blood clotting and glucose-lactose deficiency.
Heavy bleeding during menstruation: what to do
If the gaskets are changed every hour, it means that the bleeding has opened during menstruation and how to stop it should be solved immediately, avoiding dangerous for blood loss. Before the arrival of the doctor at home, you can try to reduce the intensity of discharge on your own.
How to help yourself with heavy periods:
- Comfortably lie down with a pillow under your feet (limbs should be higher than other parts of the body).
- Place a hot water bottle with cool water for 15 minutes in the lower abdomen (vessels will shrink at a water temperature of +20 - 25 ° C).
- Drink water, sweet tea, juices (a large amount of liquid will make up for hydrobalance, exclude coffee and alcohol).
- Eat fortified foods (bleeding intensity will adjust vitamins B, C, A).
The main causes of increased menstrual flow are a failure in the hormonal system, endometriosis, cancer processes, surgery and curettage of the genital organs, ovarian rupture, miscarriage. Menstruation is abundant in women suffering from salpingitis, gonorrhea, oophoritis, and gardnerellosis.