The mammary gland is a paired organ. His main task for a woman is to highlight a secret that ensures lactation after the birth of a child. Most of the body consists of a ferrous substance - the parenchyma. The lobes of the gland are divided by connective tissue septa. Each share is made up of slices consisting of alveoli. Each lobe along the milky ducts connects to the nipple.
Sometimes when you click on the gland may appear a selection. Often they are a signal of pathological conditions, but can occur as a result of natural processes. This phenomenon can occur not only in women, but also in men. When suspicious nipple discharge appears, it is imperative to find out their causes and, if necessary, start treatment.
Nature of discharge
The fluid secreted from the mammary glands may be different. Given its characteristics, you can more accurately establish the diagnosis.
- Transparent - during menstruation and during sexual arousal is a variant of the norm. In older women, they may indicate duectasia.
- Whites - a sign of galactorrhea. Discharges resemble colostrum.
- Green - often during mastitis. Accompanying symptoms are an increase in the volume of the glands, desquamation, soreness. Dark-colored secretions are associated with mastopathy, inflammation in the gland, the addition of a bacterial infection.
- Yellow - often diagnosed in pregnant and lactating. After chest injuries, yellow discharge indicates a healthy healing process. Phase 2 of the menstrual cycle with the appearance of yellow discharge indicates the development of fibrocystic mastopathy.
- Brown - associated with damage to blood vessels, and blood in the milk ducts. Such secretions may appear during the development of a breast tumor or cystic mastopathy.
- Bloody - evidence of the formation of tumor formations in the ducts of the glands.
Causes and Concomitant Symptoms
Discharge from the chest can be a natural phenomenon, be caused by pathological factors.
Learn about the rules of nutrition and diet for the pancreas with exacerbation of diseases.
Instructions for use of Endocrinol capsules to restore the thyroid gland is described on this page.
Discharge from the chest can be considered the norm for:
- Pregnancy - usually discharge when pressed on the chest are observed in the 3rd trimester, when the increased tone of the uterus activates them.
- Lactation after giving birth.
- The use of combined contraceptives that stimulate the synthesis of hormones responsible for lactation.
Discharge from the chest, not related to physiological processes, should alert and become a reason for seeking medical attention:
- Ductectasis is blocked by ducts due to the expansion of suboreolar canals. As a result, the chest becomes inflamed, fluid accumulates in it, which comes out of the nipples when pressed.
- Mastopathy is a pathological, benign change in the connective tissue of the gland.
- Mastitis is an inflammation of the glands, which is more common after childbirth during lactation. The woman has a fever, a hyperemia, breast enlargement. Improper breast pumping, lactostasis, cracked nipples, poor breast hygiene can cause mastitis.
- Intraductal papilloma is a benign lesion localized in the milky duct. More often diagnosed in women 35-55 years. Discharges have blood impurities.
- Malignant tumors - at the initial stage may be asymptomatic. Gradually, the symptoms of cancer increases. There are seals in the gland. Axillary lymph nodes are enlarged. Discharges are often bloody.
- Galactorrhea - discharge, not related to pregnancy and lactation. The formation of milk stimulates the hormone prolactin. Often the problem develops due to the use of hormonal agents.
Other causes of chest discharge can be:
- genital diseases (syphilis, vaginitis),
- pituitary tumors,
- thyroid dysfunction,
- taking antibiotics and other strong drugs.
Particular attention should be paid to the symptoms that accompany the discharge associated with the presence of tumors:
- thick consistency
- fluid is excreted only from the diseased gland, and not from both,
- blotches of blood in the excreted fluid
- asymmetry of the glands appears,
- the shape and pigmentation of the nipple are changing, the lines of the areola are not clear.
Tactics of treatment will depend on the causes of discharge from the mammary glands. Therefore, first you need to contact a mammologist. In order to diagnose the cause of the problem, a visual inspection and palpation of the chest is first carried out. The doctor can detect the presence of seals, change in skin tone, swelling of tissues.
A more accurate picture can be made through additional research:
- general blood analysis,
- hormone screening.
Sometimes additional consultation with other specialists (endocrinologist, gynecologist) is required.
Learn about the symptoms of inflammation of the pancreas, as well as the treatment of pain.
On the signs of apoplexy of the right ovary and on the features of pathology therapy is written on this page.
Go to http://vse-o-gormonah.com/vnutrennaja-sekretsija/polovye/vospalenie-yaichnikov.html and read about how and how to treat inflammation of the ovaries in women.
In each case, the treatment will be individual. It may include both conservative methods and surgery.
If pregnant and lactating women experience a white discharge from the breast and there are no pathological symptoms, this is normal. In other cases, you need to contact a specialist and fix the problem.
When mastitis can be offered different treatment options, depending on the stage of the disease. If mastitis progresses and leads to accumulation of pus in the tissues of the glands, a nursing woman is advised not to breastfeed, take antibiotics and detoxification procedures. The appearance of an abscess may require surgery to remove an abscess.
In case of hormonal malfunction, steroid treatment is prescribed, based on the results of the tests. Therapy is considered successful if there is a pronounced positive effect during the first 2 weeks after its start.
The presence of neoplasms (intra-papilloma, Paget's disease) require surgical intervention. In papillomas, the affected area is excised, after which the material is sent for histological examination. Malignant tumors in most cases require a mastectomy - complete removal of the breast.
In order to maximally avoid pathological changes in the mammary glands, to prevent the appearance of discharge from them, it is necessary to take appropriate preventive measures:
- wear a bra corresponding to the size of the breast,
- during breastfeeding, timely express milk,
- regularly conduct a self-examination of the glands for the presence of seals and other changes,
- avoid chest injury
- do a routine ultrasound of the glands or mammography 1 time per year,
- do not self-medicate
- take hormonal contraceptives only after consulting a gynecologist.
Video about when the discharge from the mammary glands is considered the norm and under what symptoms are pathology:
Types of discharge from the mammary glands
The color of the secretions from the mammary glands can be of a different color (transparent, yellow, green, etc.), and the consistency varies from liquid to mucous.
- Green - mainly observed during mastitis. Such secretions are accompanied not only by breast augmentation, but also by pain, redness and peeling,
- Transparent - if such discharge from a middle-aged woman, then - it is ductectasia. Considered normal if they appear before menstruation or during sexual arousal,
- Yellow - most often women encounter them during pregnancy and lactation. If the yellow discharge appeared after the injured breast, it means that the healing and recovery process proceeds safely. But when in the 2nd phase of the menstrual cycle, yellow liquid oozes out from the nipples and chest pain is felt, then these are the first signs of fibrocystic mastopathy,
- Excretion of fluid - discharge appear either spontaneously or when you press on the nipple. The liquid comes out both from one and immediately from two breasts. If pressing on the nipple of the mammary gland, a selection of fluid occurs, but the woman does not breastfeed the baby, this may indicate an oncological disease,
- Brown discharge - signaling damage to the blood vessels from which the bleeding into the milk ducts proceeds. Such secretions are caused either by the growth of a cancerous tumor or by the manifestation of the cystic form of mastitis,
- Bloody - such secretions most often inform about tumor processes in the ducts, as the neoplasm, increasing, constricts the blood vessels, and thereby causes internal hemorrhage in the milk ducts,
- White - the cause of such secretions - galactorrhea. The peculiarity of this disease is the release of colostrum from the breast. Many women on the background of galactorrhea menstrual cycle is broken,
- Dark - discharge is an indicator of numerous diseases. Often a dark color indicates the presence of blood in a substance. Such a symptom signals the development of a benign or oncologic neoplasm in the mammary gland,
- Dark green - mostly such secretions are observed in case of mastopathy or in inflammatory processes in the mammary gland complicated by the addition of staphylococci, streptococci and Escherichia coli (microbes that penetrate into a wound, cause inflammation and suppuration),
- Light - a light liquid is secreted from two glands simultaneously. Odorless. If the discharge is not related to the interesting position of the woman, then this is definitely galactorrhea.
Causes of discharge
Causes of discharge from the mammary glands are either physiological or pathological processes.
Physiological processes of discharge from the chest:
- During pregnancy - “training” education of milk in the mammary glands and its periodic elimination. It starts in the third trimester and is triggered by an increased uterine tone, which stimulates the discharge from the breast from both breasts. Basically a turbid white or yellowish liquid is released. Does not affect the well-being,
- Lactation after abortion - the duration of the discharge depends on which month of pregnancy the interruption occurred (varies from several days to one month),
- Receiving combined oral contraceptives - as contraceptives have a hormone that stimulates lactation, the liquid that is released from the nipples will stop being released if you change the drug or completely cancel it.
Pathological processes of discharge from the chest:
- Ductectasia is an expansion of the suboreolar breast channels that results in clogging of the glands, which leads to inflammation and coacervation of fluid exiting through the nipples of the mammary glands. Usually such a disease affects women over 40,
- Mastopathy is a benign breast disease that affects the pathological proliferation of connective tissue,
- Mastitis is an inflammatory disease of the breast that is actively developing after childbirth. This disease is accompanied by pain in the chest, redness and enlargement of the mammary gland, and there is discomfort during breastfeeding and fever,
- Cancer is a malignant tumor that forms invisibly as a result of the disordered and uncontrolled development of the body's cells. A sign of this disease can be bloody discharge from one or two breasts, as well as a sharp increase in the mammary gland,
- Eczema-like cancer - a type of cancer that forms in or around the nipples, the fight against such a disease is carried out only by surgery,
- Vaginitis, syphilis, cystitis and other diseases of the genital organs,
- External and internal injuries of the chest (bruises, blows),
- Nipple irritation after breastfeeding,
- Intraductal papilloma is a small benign growth that is located in one of the ducts of the mammary gland. With this disease, there are blood impurities in the discharge. A woman discovers their presence by traces on a bra or on palpation in the nipple area,
- Galactorrhea is the release of milk / colostrum from the nipples, which is caused by prolonged use of hormonal drugs. Breastfeeding has nothing to do with
- Taking antibiotics and heavy drugs.
These are the most common reasons for the sudden appearance of chest discharge, although there are many other factors involved. To establish the root cause of the appearance of fluid is possible only after a comprehensive medical examination, supported by analyzes and other types of medical research.
Why is this happening?
There are physiological, benign and dangerous malignant causes of nipple discharge.
Such factors are natural for women. One of the reasons for the appearance of a secret is lactation, that is, the production of breast milk after childbirth. Also, the mammary glands synthesize colostrum in late pregnancy and in the first days after the baby is born.
A clear, colorless nipple fluid may appear outside of pregnancy. This is caused by a hormonal imbalance. After the cessation of menstruation (postmenopausal) such signs should not be.
Diseases that may be accompanied by the appearance of liquid contents from the nipples, and at the same time are benign:
- intraductal papilloma (a noncancerous tumor resembling a polyp located in the gland duct),
- chronic inflammatory process - mastitis,
- fibrocystic disease resulting from hormonal disorders,
- dilation, or ectasia, of the milky ducts,
- fibroadenoma (benign tumor),
- ductal hyperplasia - thickening of the walls of the ducts,
- nipple adenoma (benign tumor).
In addition to the diseases of the glands themselves, the appearance of a secret is often accompanied by hyperprolactinemia, eczema, or atopic nipple dermatitis.
Of these diseases, a similar symptom is most often associated with ectasia of the ducts of the gland.
Separately, it should be noted that clear, colorless discharge from the nipples is sometimes observed when using drugs, especially metoclopramide and domperidone. These substances are part of the popular drugs to eliminate nausea and motion sickness - Cerucal, Ceruglan, Motilium, Passazhix and others.
These are precancerous or cancerous diseases:
- atypical ductal hyperplasia - thickening of the walls of the duct, in which the precursors of cancer cells appear,
- in situ ductal carcinoma - superficial tumor on the duct wall,
- in situ lobular carcinoma - a limited small tumor of the glandular structures of an organ,
- invasive ductal carcinoma or lobular carcinoma - malignant tumors that grow in the gland tissue, affecting the lymph nodes and distant organs,
- Paget's disease - cancer of the nipple and areola.
With the collapse of a malignant tumor, black discharge is observed, with the appearance of which it is necessary to urgently seek medical help.
The nature of the secret in different pathologies - common signs
For benign conditions:
- usually bilateral,
- appear when pressed
- without impurities and lumps,
- with a sticky consistency
- colorless, but can also be colored from white to yellow or green.
Discharge from the nipple mixed with blood is also more often associated with benign diseases. However, they can also be caused by cancer. Therefore, when such a symptom appears, an in-depth examination by a doctor is necessary.
For malignant diseases:
- appear on the one hand
- arise spontaneously, leak without pressure,
- there are clear, light, pink or bleeding,
- in the chest, when probing, a seal area is found, the axillary lymph nodes are enlarged.
According to the color of the secreted fluid, we can suggest a possible cause of the pathology:
- white, yellow or green discharge from the nipples are characteristic of inflammatory processes, above all, mastitis,
- dark green and thick appear with suppuration of ductal cysts,
- brown ectasia occurs in the milky ducts,
- transparent, watery - for breast cancer,
- bloody - with cancer or papilloma.
This symptom can manifest itself in the aggregate and other signs of breast diseases:
- pain, hypersensitivity,
- palpable tissue formation,
- nipple retraction, skin bumps, discoloration, redness or itching of the skin,
- resizing one of the glands
- menstrual disorders,
- nausea and vomiting,
- weakness, decrease or increase in weight.
Read more about anxiety symptom, how the norm or the manifestation of pathology
This symptom has features in various gynecological and endocrine problems, as well as physiological conditions.
Normally, before delivery and after the birth of a baby, colostrum begins to stand out from the breast, and then milk. Discharge from the nipples during pregnancy at an earlier date appear when the gland prepares for lactation, its ducts become wider, and the cells are renewed. It occurs under the action of hormones, at the same time darkening of the skin on the nipples and areolas. The color of such a liquid is white or light yellow. Colostrum may appear in the 3rd trimester, less often from the 20th week and extremely rarely at the very beginning of the child's bearing, however, this is also a normal condition.
At the beginning of breastfeeding, the gland is choked up, the amount of colostrum may be insignificant. With regular attachment of the child in the chest, secretory activity improves. If, as a result of feeding, decanting, or after discharge from the nipple, the breast becomes soft, this is a normal sign.
Not all women during childbirth, there is such a sign. During the 2nd and subsequent pregnancies, feelings in the chest may also change. The lack of secretion does not mean that breastfeeding difficulties occur.
However, there are two cases when it is necessary to consult a doctor:
- pinkish or bloody fluid color
- the appearance of lumps in the chest, especially painful or sensitive when probing.
Glands before childbirth increase evenly, and the appearance of dense foci can be a symptom of a dangerous disease.
Normally, at the end of the second phase of the menstrual cycle, the level of progesterone in the blood decreases. If this does not happen, nipples discharge appears before menstruation. This can happen in case of diseases of the ovaries, with often painful engorgement of the mammary glands, irregularity of the cycle, a change in its duration. The secretion of fluid before menstruation may also be associated with hormonal contraceptives.
Regardless of the phase of the cycle, the appearance of a small amount of fluid from the breast is sometimes associated with its stimulation during sexual contact. The hormone oxytocin, released when it is excited, causes contraction of the muscles of the milky ducts and the release of their transparent contents.
The appearance of such a symptom after menstruation is not specific for any one disease. This may be the case with a malignant tumor of the gland, and with hyperprolactinemia and other hormonal disorders.
During the perimenopause, the female body undergoes a significant hormonal adjustment. The ovarian function gradually fades away, and the hypothalamic-pituitary system can be activated to maintain it. However, at the same time, the risk of breast cancer increases. Therefore, the appearance of a secret from the nipples during menopause should always be an occasion to go to a gynecologist or a breast doctor.
If for some reason a hysterectomy was performed on the patient, this does not affect the functioning of her mammary glands. Therefore, after removal of the uterus, the appearance of fluid from the mammary glands can be both a normal sign and a symptom of pathology.
With mastopathy, nipple discharge does not occur in all patients. They appear if the pathology is accompanied by severe hormonal disorders. In the event that they are watery or contain blood, it is necessary to consult a doctor.
Mastitis and other infections
Inflammation or abscess of the breast is usually caused by bacteria, less commonly by viruses or fungi. Most often develop lactational mastitis that occurs during the reproduction of pathogenic microflora during breastfeeding. The disease is accompanied by chest pain, swelling, redness, white or yellow discharge from the nipple.
In case of a severe process, pyogenic microflora develops in the gland tissues, an abscess, gangrenous or phlegmonous mastitis develops. At the same time, the breast is considerably enlarged, very painful, purulent discharges may appear from the nipple. Treatment of such a condition is only surgical - opening and cleansing the cavity of the abscess.
Prolactin is normally produced in the pituitary gland in small quantities. Its secretion is greatly enhanced during breastfeeding, ensuring the restructuring of the tissues of the gland and the formation of milk in it. If a woman is not pregnant and does not breastfeed, the appearance of milk in her is called galactorrhea and is associated with an abnormal increase in the amount of the hormone prolactin.
Hyperprolactinemia may occur as a result of such conditions:
- prolonged breast stimulation
- constant or sudden severe stress
- breast injury,
- intense mechanical action of the partner during sexual intercourse,
- pituitary tumor
- thyroid disease, especially with a decrease in its function - hypothyroidism,
- kidney or liver failure
- taking oral contraceptives, antidepressants, some drugs against hypertension.
With increased prolactin from the nipples, a white liquid appears, resembling milk. Such a sign can be observed in men. In this case, it always serves as a symptom of a disease.
Fluid from the nipples may begin to stand out at an early stage of the disease, especially when the tumor is localized in the gland duct. Therefore, even with an isolated appearance of this symptom, an urgent need to be examined by a doctor.
The likelihood of a malignant tumor increases in these situations:
- secret watery or contains blood
- palpable tight education in the chest,
- enlarged axillary lymph nodes
- suction nipple
- breast deformation, "lemon peel" on the skin.
Male Nipple Discharges
In 75% of cases, it is a sign of breast cancer.
Breast cancer in men is very rare and makes up less than 1% of all cases of a malignant tumor of this organ. The disease is accompanied by the appearance of compaction and tenderness in the gland tissue. In case of discharge, it is necessary to contact a surgeon or oncologist as soon as possible.
In addition to a tumor, this symptom may be associated with hyperprolactinemia. In men, it occurs quite rarely, it causes a pituitary tumor.
The principles of diagnosis and treatment of such conditions in men are the same as in women.
What to do with nipple discharge?
If such a symptom is observed in women who are not pregnant and do not breastfeed, it is necessary to find out its cause. Of particular concern to doctors are cases occurring in women older than 40 years of age, with the appearance of permanent discharge from one gland, with blood and / or the presence of a seal. Another risk factor for breast cancer is the presence of cases of this disease in the family.
When a patient uses a drug for hormone replacement therapy or contraception, which is accompanied not only by the discharge, but also by pain and swelling, the doctor should replace the medicine with a safer one.
The following tests are used for diagnosis:
- Determination of prolactin level. This hormone regulates the production of breast milk. It is determined to exclude prolactin-secreting pituitary tumors.
- Thyroid-stimulating hormone is produced by the pituitary gland and regulates the activity of the thyroid gland. Its level is determined to exclude hypothyroidism.
- Chorionic gonadotropin, or a pregnancy test, to rule out the physiological causes of this symptom.
If a malignant tumor is suspected, the doctor may prescribe a cytological examination of the mammary gland to determine the malignant cells in it. However, this study does not always help to identify the tumor, so it is rarely used.
A skin biopsy is performed for Paget's cancer that affects the nipple or areola. Symptoms of the disease include skin changes that resemble eczema (itching, cracks, dryness, peeling), and yellowish nipple discharge. Puncture biopsy allows you to confirm the diagnosis.
- Mammography - an x-ray examination of the mammary glands to identify seals, calcium deposits, asymmetry, vascular pattern abnormalities, is used in women over 35-40 years old and often helps to detect the early stage of cancer.
- Ultrasound examination is prescribed to women younger than 35 years for the differential diagnosis of seals and cysts filled with fluid, and is also used during directed biopsy and during surgical operations.
- Ductography is the study of the ducts of the gland after the introduction of the radiopaque substance into them, it is necessary to identify ductal tumors and accurately determine their location.
- Magnetic resonance imaging is a safe study that reveals tumors of a minimum size, but a false positive result is high, so such a study is prescribed less frequently than mammography.
Treatment of nipple discharge depends on their cause:
- if it is established that this symptom is caused by drugs, they are canceled,
- with hypothyroidism, thyroxin is prescribed,
- in case of hyperprolactinemia, dopamine agonists may be used, less frequently surgical removal of a pituitary tumor,
- in the absence of a visible cause of discharge, treatment is not prescribed, re-examination is carried out in 2 to 3 months,
- hormone preparations are used for fibrocystic disease,
- Mastitis and other infectious processes require antibiotic treatment.
With persistent secretions, surgical removal of the dilated milk duct is possible. If a malignant tumor is detected, the patient is sent to an oncologist. She is prescribed a combination treatment, which includes surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy in different combinations.
Factors leading to discharge
The causes of discharge are many and varied, many factors can be attributed to them:
- hormonal imbalance leading to galactorrhea
- wearing squeeze underwear
- milk duct ectasia
- malignant neoplasm of the breast
- breast inflammation
- oral contraception
- gestation period
- intraductal papilloma
- taking certain medications, in particular, antidepressants (amitriptilline)
- chest injury
The mammary gland is a paired organ whose main task is lactation, that is, the release of milk during breastfeeding. Most of the breast tissue is glandular (parenchyma).
In each mammary gland there are 15 - 20 lobes, which are separated by connective tissue partitions. In turn, each share consists of lobules, and the last of the alveoli. From each lobe from the center towards the nipple departs the milky duct, through which milk is released.
During pregnancy, glandular tissue expands, which is a necessary measure in preparation for lactation. Just below the middle of the breast is the nipple, surrounded by darker skin. Nipples and okolososkovye space in young women and girls pale pink, and giving birth to a dark brown color. The inflorescent alveoli and nipples are covered with very vulnerable skin, which is especially important to consider during pregnancy and during breastfeeding (the risk of nipple cracking and infection is high).
Galactorrhea is a spontaneous outflow of milk or colostrum in a non-pregnant woman or after the cessation of breastfeeding for a period of 5 months and more from the breast. Milk is produced by the action of certain hormones, in particular prolactin. Galactorrhea can also be observed in men, since prolactin is also synthesized in their bodies.
Causes of galactorrhea are diverse, it can be a tumor of the pituitary (prolactinoma), injuries or neoplasms of the hypothalamus, diseases of the thyroid gland, adrenal glands or ovaries, renal and hepatic failure, stress and much more. If the cause of the spontaneous outflow of milk is not established, speak about idiopathic galactorrhea.
The main symptom of the syndrome is white discharge from the chest. In women, in addition, there is a violation of the menstrual cycle, hirsutism (excessive hair growth), the appearance of acne, a decrease in sexual desire. Treatment of galactorrhea is the treatment of the underlying disease. In idiopathic galactorrhea, bromocriptine is administered, which reduces prolactin synthesis.
Milky duct ectasia
Progressive expansion of the milk ducts with their subsequent inflammation leads to such a disease as ectasia of the milk ducts. Thick and sticky discharges from the chest appear, most often brown in color.
This disease occurs in women of premenopausal age. Treatment involves the appointment of warm compresses on the chest and taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (indomethacin), in some cases, antibiotic therapy is required. In difficult situations, surgical removal of the milk duct.
Acute infectious disease of the breast, or mastitis, is usually found during breastfeeding. The disease is acute, the breast swells, it becomes painless, the skin of the mammary gland hyperemic. There is a significant increase in temperature, up to 39 degrees, green secretions from the breast arise due to the admixture of pus.
Causes of mastitis can be improper breast pumping and the development of lactostasis, nipple cracks and poor hygiene. As the process progresses, the mastitis turns into an abscess form, the woman’s condition worsens. The treatment is aimed at avoiding feeding the affected breast, prescribing antibiotics and detoxification therapy. With the development of a breast abscess, a surgical opening of the abscess is performed.
Signs of fibrocystic mastopathy, in addition to secretions, are pain appearing in the second phase of the menstrual cycle. Yellow discharge is also associated with the phase of the menstrual cycle and disappears with the onset of menstruation. Treatment of the disease consists in prescribing diets, hormones and vitamin preparations.
Practical example: With a complaint of pain in the mammary gland and the detected formation in her neighbor asked me. Indeed, palpation felt dense, palm-sized formation with clear boundaries. In addition, when pressing on the nipple appeared yellowish discharge. As it turned out, the woman had a second phase of the menstrual cycle, which suggested mastopathy. Finally, the diagnosis was confirmed after menstruation, when the breast became soft, and the discharge from the nipple disappeared.
Malignant tumor of the mammary gland has very characteristic symptoms. Externally marked peeling of the skin, redness, it takes the form of lemon peel, can be hot to the touch. Palpation of the chest is marked with a dense, with uneven boundaries, the formation and increase in axillary lymph nodes. The shape of the nipple also changes, it retracts and dark discharge appears. Breast cancer treatment is only operative.
Practical example: A woman came to me with a complaint of pain in the right breast. Palpation gave nothing. I did not identify the tumor, the appearance of the breast was not changed. When collecting the history revealed a chest injury about 2 weeks ago. Just in case, she sent the patient to the oncologic dispensary to the mammologist. What was my surprise when she was diagnosed with cancer. Breast pain in cancer occurs at the very least when all the other signs are present.
Breast excretion during pregnancy
Pregnancy and breast discharge are not uncommon. As a rule, they are yellowish or milky in color and are nothing more than colostrum - the forerunner of milk. In the period of gestation, the mammary glands are actively increasing in volume due to the proliferation of glandular tissue under the action of intensive production of prolactin.
Usually, colostrum appears on the eve of childbirth, but may begin to be produced earlier, at 22-24 weeks. After birth, the colostrum after 2 - 3 days is replaced by milk synthesis. Compared with milk, colostrum is more nutritious food, and contains more antibodies, which are very necessary for a child in the first days of life. It is very important to observe the rules of personal hygiene during the appearance of breast discharge during pregnancy and to monitor the condition of the nipples.
It is necessary to wash the breasts with boiled water at least twice a day and wipe dry. Also useful for nipples are air baths, which is the prevention of cracks in the postpartum period. It is recommended to use sterile cotton pads, which are freely sold in the pharmacy, as breast pads.
Breast discharge is normal
There are 2 situations where a clear selection is the norm.
- First, it’s one to two days before the onset of menstruation,
- Secondly, sexual arousal, nipple stimulation and orgasm.
Под действием окситоцина, который вырабатывается во время стимуляции сосков, происходит сокращение млечных протоков и появляются (одна – две капли) жидкости.
Заболевания, при которых наблюдаются выделения из молочной железы
The discharge of a pregnant woman is primarily due to the pathology of fetal development, and secondly, to the exacerbation of chronic diseases that existed before pregnancy.
When the thyroid gland and the pituitary gland are ill, secretions can go out because these organs have a glandular structure, secrete their secret into the blood and are involved in regulating and stabilizing the hormonal background. And they concentrate prolactin in the blood.
Discharge from the nipples in a state of functional tension of the thyroid, in which the level of hormones is within the normal range or hormonally active tumors of the anterior pituitary, producing an excessive amount of prolactin, is quite consistent with the normal production of milk by the female body, under the influence of hormones.
In addition to lactation, we can note a violation of the time period from the beginning of one month to the beginning of the next, until their completion.
Endocrine disorders can be caused by:
- Bad habits (smoking, alcohol abuse),
- Unhealthy lifestyle (non-compliance with the daily regimen, inadequate rest, unhealthy diet),
- Long-term use of medicines that affect the hormones in the body,
But the discharge from the breast, which arose due to tumors, the characteristic symptoms can be very different. It primarily depends on the type and form of the tumor, its location and other factors:
- Isolation occurs from only one breast and has a thick texture,
- In the secreted fluid is very visible blood admixture,
- The breast loses its symmetry - the mammary gland, from which the fluid is released, has visually increased in size, and on its surface not only visually, but also when palpating, knots are recognized,
- There is a change in the shape / color of the nipple - the lines of the areola and skin are indistinct, the nipple is “retracted” inside, the pigmentation of the areola and the nipple increase / decrease.
Tumor diseases (fibroadenomas, cancer, etc.) can develop for the following reasons:
- Unfavorable ecological situation
- Lack of sleep
- Little rest,
- Unbalanced nutrition
Today, hereditary susceptibility to cancer is considered the main cause of the development of tumor diseases.
Treatment of breast excretions
There are a huge number of circumstances through the fault of which fluid can be excreted from the mammary glands, which is why it is so important to contact a mammologist as early as possible. The doctor selects individual treatment for each - this is either conservative therapy, which is carried out by biological, physical and chemical methods, or surgery in severe cases. And before the doctor selects the treatment, it is necessary to undergo a diagnosis.
If we use modern and effective treatment in time, then there is a great chance to achieve positive results.
In the case of ductectasis, surgery is required which removes the affected duct in the mammary gland.
For the treatment of purulent diseases of the mammary glands, the doctor prescribes antibiotics or prescribes an operation to help open up the accumulation of pus in the tissues.
With mastitis, treatment can be both conservative and operative. It depends on what stage the disease is.
Intracropsy papilloma is treated only with surgery, during which the affected tissue is removed. After the operation, the removed material is sent for histological examination in order to exclude the malignancy of the neoplasm.
In the case of Paget's disease, the mammologist prescribes a mastectomy - an operation in which both breasts are removed, in rare cases only a formation in healthy tissue is removed.
So, discharge from the mammary glands during lactation is quite a common phenomenon, since milk is released. In other cases, secretions should alert you because they are considered dangerous. In order to find out the cause of their occurrences, it is necessary to fully examine.
Fluid can be released independently, and when you click on the nipple. Often a woman discovers them when:
- Wears tight bra,
- Takes psychotropic drugs,
- Rides constantly pressure
- A hormonal failure occurs in the body.
If you palpation of the breast found a seal, or you are worried about the pain in it, be sure to inform your doctor. The more you answer the doctor's questions, the faster he will be able to diagnose you.
As medical practice shows, many women of childbearing age notice a discharge from the breast with a yellowish tinge. There is no reason to fear that such a liquid will appear during pregnancy or immediately during lactation.
If such secretions appear in any other period, there is no need to consider this as a sign of the development of pathology. It is possible that the channels are cleared by secretion. Norm is an arbitrary disappearance of a secret within 3-4 days.
- Chest hurts before the menstrual cycle
- Yellow discharge during pregnancy
During breastfeeding, such secretions acquire a thick consistency. If such a liquid appeared as a result of an injury, then for a girl it is a sure sign of complete and proper healing of damaged mammary glands. If a yellowish discharge is associated with pain, it may signal the presence of a fibrous or cystic neoplasm.
Due to the violation of the level of hormonal concentration, nipples may have some water, which has a white saturated color. By its texture, it resembles colostrum. If such a sign does not appear during pregnancy or breastfeeding, then perhaps the body develops a disease such as galactorrhea. It is the white discharge that is considered the main symptom of this pathology.
These signs should be considered as the main signal for referring to a mammologist. Due to improper functioning of the mammary glands, the menstruation cycle can also go down.
With the development of pathological processes in a woman's body, when pressed, a liquid of a greenish, brownish shade and even the color of blood can be released from the nipple. Such signs are not the norm. This may indicate the development of such serious diseases as malignant tumors, Paget's disease, abscess, etc.
Paget's disease is manifested by the formation of malignant tumors around the nipples or directly on it. These are bleeding from the glands, which are considered the primary symptoms. As practice shows, the pathological view of the oozing fluid from the nipples is often combined with pain and redness of the entire gland or part of it, the formation of fillings or nipple bruising inside.
Causes of discharge from the chest
In some cases, the appearance of clear secretions from the mammary glands is considered normal. Milk formation occurs in the alveoli located in the lobules of the mammary gland. On the milky ducts, it is fed from the lobules to the nipple. In the absence of lactation, the ducts are filled with fluid, which can only be excreted in isolated cases, for example, before menstruation, when the gland is tense and swells, during intercourse or in the case of strong pressure on the chest.
The appearance of colostrum (clear yellowish liquid) occurs during pregnancy, when the mammary gland swells before the formation of milk.
Unusual is the appearance of milk secretions not related to breastfeeding, discoloration and increased intensity of fluid formation. Attention should also be paid to the occurrence of pain in one or both glands simultaneously with nipple discharge, an increase in body temperature.
Causes of unusual discharge can be:
- hormonal disorders associated with diseases of the thyroid gland, adrenal glands, ovaries, brain tumors,
- hormonal contraceptive use
- treatment of any diseases with the use of hormonal drugs,
- taking some other drugs, such as antidepressants,
- inflammatory diseases of the mammary glands,
- benign or malignant tumors of the mammary glands,
- squeezing tight underwear
- chest injuries.
Discharge from the nipples during pregnancy
During pregnancy, changes in the ratio of hormones occur in a woman's body, prolactin begins to predominate, stimulating milk production. The chest swells, the milky ducts dilate. Even a slight stimulation of the nipples enhances fluid secretion. Gradually, it thickens, and by the end of pregnancy turns into colostrum, a thick yellowish mass, sweetish in taste and nutritionally superior to breast milk. In some women, colostrum appears immediately after birth, in others - in late pregnancy. The time of the appearance of colostrum does not affect the subsequent lactation.
Recommendation: It is believed that if the colostrum is decanted, then there will be more milk later. In fact, it does not have any effect on lactation, but nipple stimulation can cause uterine contractions. Miscarriage may occur.
Benign disease associated with the appearance on the walls of the ducts growths, extending to the nipple area. It is dangerous that cell degeneration of damaged glandular tissue and the occurrence of cancer are possible. Discharge from the nipples with thick, mixed with blood. More common in women after 35 years.
An abscess, purulent inflammation that most often occurs in nursing women. The cause is cracks appearing on the nipples due to damage to the delicate tissue when the baby sucks milk. At the same time the infection gets to milk channels. Suppuration of ducts is accompanied by an increase in the size of the gland, redness, fever, the appearance of pus in milk. At the same time, breastfeeding is completely stopped, antibiotic treatment is carried out, or the opening of the milk duct is performed to remove pus.
A benign disease resulting from the proliferation of breast tissue (glandular and connective). Yellowish or clear bleeding when mastopathy appears in the second phase of the menstrual cycle. When menstruation occurs, they disappear. The appearance of fluid from the nipples is accompanied by pain in the mammary glands. For treatment prescribed drugs that restore the normal ratio of hormones in the blood. Large nodes that are formed during mastopathy are surgically removed.
Discharges may be bloody, clear or thick. In this case, the nipple retracts due to a tumor. In the chest groping dense areas with jagged edges. They grow together with the skin, which takes the form of lemon peel. More often, the discharge appears in one breast, affected by a tumor.
Examination for unusual nipple discharge
If any unusual discharge from the mammary glands appears, a gynecologist, breast specialist, endocrinologist, oncologist must be examined to determine their cause and make a timely diagnosis of the disease.
The examination usually consists of an external examination and breast palpation, mammography, ultrasound, and blood tests. The survey is conducted to detect tumors and establish their nature, as well as determine the level of hormones in the blood.
Transparent discharge from the nipples, as a rule, do not cause concern. A small amount of an odorless liquid from the breast gland appears due to mechanical stimulation of the organ or on the threshold of menses. Such changes are caused by a normal physiological process.
White nipple fluid is normal in women after childbirth. During this period, breast milk begins to be produced. Similar symptoms are also observed in galactorrhea, the development of pituitary tumors and in patients receiving oral contraceptives.
The bleeding from the chest of a light or dark shade is a sign of the development of pathology. They may indicate the presence of a malignant formation, damage or squeezing of blood vessels in the ducts.
In case of damage to small vessels and blood ingress into the ducts, brown discharge from the chest appears. Often, such changes indicate the development of cysts or tumors in the mammary glands.
Purulent discharge from the nipples of dark green color signal the development of such diseases as mastitis. In this case, you should immediately seek the help of a doctor.
Allocation after the end of the feeding period is the norm. They are caused by intensive production of prolactin. After a while the hormonal background will be restored, the body will return to the prenatal state. In most cases, it takes about 2-3 months. Sometimes exudate can be observed during the year. In this case, doctors resort to the appointment of special medicines to help stop lactation.
Colostrum release before menstruation
The reasons for the release of colostrum before the arrival of menstruation lie in hormonal adjustment. During this period, the level of progesterone is significantly reduced and when pressed on the nipple may leak a few drops of liquid.
A large amount of colostrum outside of pregnancy is considered an alarm. The reasons for such changes should determine the doctor.
Short-term hormonal adjustment
The appearance of clear exudate is often caused by hormonal changes. Such symptoms are observed while taking oral contraceptives. Therapy, including hormonal medications, also provokes such changes.
The organism adapts to a new state within a few months, but soon the situation will stabilize. If these clinical manifestations do not disappear for more than three months, you should seek medical advice and replace the drug or completely stop treatment.
Causes of discharge from the chest are often pathological. Such changes can trigger various factors. If a woman has a chest pain, her form changes, a thickening and exudate appear, the development of the disease is possible.
To identify the causes of discharge from the mammary glands with the pressure of the liquid should the doctor. These clinical manifestations cannot be ignored. Without proper treatment, there is a risk of serious complications.
Consequences of a chest injury
Breast injuries can lead to bloody exudate and painful sensations in the mammary glands. Such symptoms are observed for a couple of days, after which they disappear. If this does not happen, you need to seek help from a doctor and conduct a full examination.
Serious injuries are often accompanied by inflammatory processes. There is a risk of pus accumulation in the subcutaneous area.
Malignancy in the mammary gland
If a woman develops malignant tumors, the skin in the chest begins to peel off, their redness is noted. The epithelium becomes similar to lemon peel. On palpation, the chest appears hot and defines a seal with uneven boundaries. Lymph nodes in the armpit are enlarged. In addition, the nipples are drawn in, a fluid is flowing out of them, in which the presence of blood is noted. Painful sensations appear much later.
Visible discharge from the mammary glands is a sign of their defeat by an infectious-inflammatory or neoplastic process. The exception is pregnancy, lactation. All other cases require medical intervention. Factors contributing to the pathological state: incorrect wearing of a bra, hormonal failure, history of injuries, mastopathy, cancer.
The manifestation of cystic, nodular or fibrous mastopathy, breast abscess, intraductal papilloma. At the same time there are periodic chest pains (especially before menstruation), nodules of small sizes are groped. The etiology of the disease includes obesity, hepatic, renal failure, problems with the activity of the thyroid gland, the ovaries. These factors destabilize the hormonal balance, provoke the development of pain in the lower abdomen (including during intercourse). Additionally, the menstrual cycle is disturbed.
With sexual arousal
Female nipples are able to produce white or clear liquid up to 4 drops during orgasm. The phenomenon depends on the individual characteristics of the organism. With an increase in sexual arousal, hormones are released into the blood. Their number reaches the maximum concentration during the onset of the highest pleasure in intimacy. Positive hormonal changes stimulate natural breast lubrication, being a sign of high-grade female satisfaction.
Changes in the female body are natural during pregnancy. They also refer to the state of the mammary glands, which:
- Increase in volume, which contributes to the occurrence of unpleasant sensations, itchy skin
- Increase their sensitivity, after which the woman reacts to minor touches.
- Change the color of the areola (during this period, the venous network of the breast is more noticeable)
- Источают молозиво – первое грудное молоко
Выделения из сосков при беременности допустимы, являются природным явлением, имеют желтоватый оттенок. First, the colostrum is quite thick, over time, its consistency becomes less frequent. The term of appearance of secretion varies from the first trimester of pregnancy to the period after delivery.
It should be alarmed when the colostrum becomes bloody or bright yellow. The condition is accompanied by painful feelings of a whining character in the chest area. Deformation of the glands occurs. Symptomatology suggests the occurrence of pathology requiring examination by a specialist. Recommendations for breast care during pregnancy include hygiene, abstaining from expressing secretion, and using a comfortable bra.
Breast milk is a natural secret, consisting mainly of lactose. If it contains bloody or purulent impurities - it is difficult to identify the etiology of the pathological condition by one appearance of consistency. Similar phenomena are observed in men with a pituitary tumor, acromegaly, accompany the administration of certain drugs. Against the background of severe endocrine disorders, a high content of prolactin in the blood (hyperprolactinemia), craniopharyngoma, the pathological condition is diagnosed in children.
Milk excretion in the period of lactation is a natural reaction of the female body, allowing to provide the child with good nutrition. In other circumstances, the symptoms cause a suspicion of a number of diseases.
It is a type of malignant tumor on the nipples with spread to the areola. The origin of pathology is not fully understood, there are only theories. The development of the disease affects men and women, mostly from 45-50 years. Symptoms include:
- Inflamed nipple tissue, redness and scaly rash on the chest
- Pain, itching, hypersensitivity areola
- Regular bloody nipple discharge
- Palpable firm breast nodules observed in every other case
Pathology can spread to one or both glands at the same time. The disease is oncological, provides for surgery, the use of anti-cancer, hormonal drugs.
Which doctor to contact?
For chest pains, nipples of unknown etiology should be referred to a gynecologist or a general practitioner. The mammologist performs the treatment of diseases of the initial, moderate severity independently, without the assistance of an oncologist. In severe clinical cases, the intervention of a surgeon-oncologist is inevitable. Therefore, to exacerbate the condition of the body and self-medicate is dangerous to life and health. Therapy in the early stages of pathology minimizes the likelihood of further implementation of radical therapeutic techniques.
Cytology of secretions
Cytological examination of the fluid secreted by the mammary glands determines the exact number of cancer cells. The diagnosis is confirmed by concomitant techniques. The puncture of the skin of the areola is carried out in cases of suspected Pedzhet's cancer. Biopsy of the nipple epidermis - an accurate diagnostic procedure to determine the number of tumor cells. It involves taking a piece of tissue to study under a microscope and differentiate the nature, type of tumor.
Therapy involves an integrated approach. The desire to replace a full-fledged medical or surgical treatment with prescriptions for traditional medicine can lead to irreversible consequences. The scope of therapeutic intervention depends on the cause, nature and severity of the detected diseases. Treatment includes hormonal treatments, antibiotic therapy, topical application of antiseptic ointments. Additionally injected vitamins and painkillers.
Types of secretions from the mammary glands
First of all, it is necessary to draw a line between the physiological (normal) discharge from the nipple, which is accompanied by pregnancy, lactation and other "healthy" periods in a woman's life and pathological - indicating the presence of a disease.
This type of nipple discharge includes the following:
- Discharge from the breast during pregnancy, which are observed in both mammary glands, have a dull white or yellowish color and are not accompanied by a change in state of health. This is the so-called "training" lactation, which begins in the last trimester and is triggered by forerunners of contractions - painless uterine contractions, which stimulate the discharge from the chest.
- Lactation after premature termination of pregnancy can look like a full-fledged production of breast milk, and have the character of insignificant nipple discharge. It usually lasts from several days to a month and depends on the duration of the pregnancy at which the interruption occurred.
- Discharge from the chest, associated with the start of oral contraceptive use, increasing the level of prolactin - a hormone that stimulates lactation. Such discharge from the nipples cease independently with the change of the drug or its cancellation.
In diseases of the thyroid gland and the pituitary gland, discharge from the breast can be observed, since these endocrine glands are involved in the regulation and stabilization of hormonal levels, including the concentration of prolactin in the blood (the hormone responsible for lactation).
Discharge from the nipples during thyroid dysfunction or prolactinoma (pituitary adenoma) is fully consistent with normal lactation - there is a release of milk or milk-like fluid without the inclusion of blood or pigments.
In addition to lactation, there are violations of the menstrual cycle, up to its complete cessation.
Sustained endocrine disorders can be triggered by harmful habits, unhealthy lifestyles, prolonged use of drugs that affect hormonal status, frequent viral infections, etc.
Tumor diseases of the mammary glands
When the discharge from the breast, due to neoplasms, associated symptoms can vary significantly depending on the type of tumor, its location and other factors:
- discharge, as a rule, are observed only from one breast and have a thick texture,
- blood impurities are clearly visible in the excreted mass, or the excreta are completely composed of blood,
- the breast loses symmetry - the mammary gland from which discharges are observed is enlarged, nodal formations (single or multiple) are determined visually or by palpation on its surface,
- there may be a change in the shape and color of the nipple - the boundaries of the areola and the skin appear blurred or uneven, the nipple is “drawn” inward, the pigmentation of the areola and the nipple increase or decrease.
Tumor diseases (cysts, adenomas, cancer tumors, etc.) can develop for a variety of reasons. To date, the main of them is considered a genetic predisposition to cancer and the presence of risk factors.
- bad habits (smoking, alcohol abuse),
- adverse environmental conditions (working in hazardous industries, living in industrial areas, etc.),
- unhealthy lifestyle (lack of sleep and rest, unbalanced diet, hypodynamia, etc.),
- postponed abortions.
It is especially suspicious if the discharge takes the form, completely dissimilar to the milk. It is necessary to carefully study the smell and colors of the secreted. Competently deal with the root cause can only doctor. Liquid sometimes appears by itself, without pressure. The state of excretion is liquid or thick. Particularly dangerous painted substances from the nipple with an unhealthy aroma.
- Pregnancy. Yellowish or whitish secretion appears at 7-9 months of pregnancy. So the breast of a pregnant woman is preparing for the formation of milk.
- In connection with the weaning of the baby from the chest. Up to two years after the end of feeding from the mother, small excretions are possible.
- Abortion is artificial or natural (miscarriage). A pregnant woman's body is prepared long before the baby is born. Termination of pregnancy often leads to the appearance of colostrum from the nipples.
- The use of oral contraception and drugs containing sex hormones. The composition of these tablets include hormones that stimulate lactation. As soon as the pill is canceled, the discharge stops.
- Antidepressants. The side effect of antidepressants is the cause of a slight secretion when pressing on the nipples.
- Squeezing, slimming, synthetic underwear. Nipple irritation is the main cause of secretion.
- Menstruation. The discharge on critical days is associated with hormonal changes.
If a woman has given birth, she has functional secretions of a dull whitish color. In the birthless normal there are only transparent substances. If the secretion is purulent, bloody, or has a black, green, gray color or a nasty scent unnatural for milk, this is a sufficient reason to think about the underlying latent disease.
Selection color value
The density and color of the substance emerging from the nipple when pressed - this is important information for the doctor. According to these characteristics, the specialist puts forward suggestions as to which of the diseases caused such symptoms.
Colorless, odorless discharges are naturally occurring if they appear before menstruation or after intercourse.
The whiteness of the discharge makes you think about milk, protruding after childbirth, in galactorrhea If it is not caused by pregnancy, it may cause you to think about a pituitary tumor, which is sometimes formed after a long period of taking contraceptives.
Yellow secretion from the nipple (sometimes cream colored) indicates pregnancy or the appearance of colostrum after delivery. If a yellowish substance is released before menstruation, especially if the iron hurts, then it is most likely a symptom of mastitis.
Liquid with a green tint
Such an unpleasant color is formed by purulent discharges that form in different types of mastitis.
The bloody substance from the nipples is a possible sign of oncology, destruction of the vessels in the ducts. Dark and light red secretions have such a nature.
Brown discharge also indicates damage to the blood vessels, the blood enters the ducts and coagulates there. Brown and darker substances appear during the formation of cysts and other tumors of the gland (sometimes malignant in nature).
When nipple discharge is normal
During pregnancy and immediately after birth, colostrum is released, it clearly appears with pressure and is yellow in color. Colostrum can be produced in early pregnancy when the expectant mother herself does not suspect her position.
A woman in labor must have lactation in varying degrees. It lasts the entire term of feeding. When a child switches to a different type of food, the woman produces milk for a long time. Milk production does not end immediately, when pressed milk is allocated up to three years after the cancellation of breastfeeding.
An interesting historical fact: among the Indians, if the mother of an infant died, he was given to the grandmother. An elderly woman put her grandson to her breast, a hungry pussy sucked an empty gland for days, and after a while the milk appeared. This is an excellent evidence that you should not stop breastfeeding, if there is not enough milk - with persistent stimulation, lactation will definitely increase in anyone who gives birth, regardless of age. After a miscarriage or abortion, milk often begins to flow. This is caused by hormonal changes occurring in the pregnant woman’s body. After normalization of the balance of hormones secretion disappear.
A slight transparent secretion under pressure is characteristic before the onset of critical days. Such a phenomenon is caused by changes in the amount of hormones, which is characteristic of the luteal phase of the cycle and certain diseases. Independently understand the reasons will not work, you need to contact a mammologist, who will prescribe a diagnosis to identify the nature of the symptom.
Changes in the balance of hormones occur in women who take hormone pills or drugs to treat depression. Exercise or excessively tight underwear irritates the nipples, causing tension in the muscles of the chest and discharge when pressed. Transparent or white substances, odorless, often a variant of the norm. The appearance of a nasty smell, pus, blood, staining - all this indicates a disease. In addition to discharge, other changes in the chest area are sometimes noted, and the general condition may worsen.
Diseases for nipple discharge
- Mastitis - inflammation of the chest. Inflammation occurs when bacteria enter the gland. This often happens when feeding, when cracks form on the nipples, or when milk is released that is not associated with childbirth.
- Mastopathy - benign lesions in the gland (cysts, fibrosis, etc.). Sometimes when mastopatii there are mild pain and nipple secretion.
- Intraductal papilloma. With this disease, papillomas are formed in the ducts, which are destroyed by pressure. From the nipples protruding reddish substance.
- Ectasia - the expansion of the milky ducts. Ectasia is sometimes a physiological condition, it develops with swelling in the gland before menstruation or during pregnancy. In the normal state, swelling resolves on its own - this is a normal physiological process. In some cases, swelling becomes irreversible - this is pathology. Cysts, fibroids and papillomas are formed in the stretched ducts. Irreversible ectasia occurs with hormonal alterations after forty years.
- Galactorrhea - A disease in which pressure from the nipple leads to the release of milk, but this does not apply to breastfeeding. The main cause of galactorrhea is hormonal imbalance, an excess of prolactin. The disease sometimes accompanies diseases of the brain or thyroid gland.
- Oncology gland - malignant formation, manifested by asymmetry of the nipples, the growth of one breast, deformational changes on the skin, seals and other symptoms.
What to do if nipple discharge appears
With the manifestation of unnatural substances from the chest should not wait or be treated by home methods. Self-medication is dangerous for many reasons. The first is that it is urgent to eliminate oncology, only a doctor can do this. The second danger is that popular recipes often offer warming of the chest, heat compresses, which sometimes do help with certain conditions, but with inflammation they seriously worsen the situation, and sometimes they trigger growth of the neoplasm in the body.
What can not be done with the discharge from the nipples?
- It is forbidden to warm the chest by any means.
- It is forbidden to squeeze the liquid, it stimulates the discharge.
- You can not take hormones on your own. This also applies to hormonal contraception, it is necessary to take it only as directed by the gynecologist.
- It is impossible to postpone consultation of the mammologist. In small towns such a specialist is not found, then you need to consult a gynecologist, and in rural areas you can first consult with a therapist.